If you’re so inclined, you can pre-order it here.
LUIS JARAMILLO WINS DZANC SHORT STORY COLLECTION CONTEST
May 11, 2010, Ann Arbor, MI—Dzanc Books is pleased to announce that Luis Jaramillo, Associate Chair of the Writing Program at the New School, is the winner of our 2009 short story collection contest. Jaramillo’s manuscript, The Doctor’s Wife, was selected from more than 100 submissions. This collection will be published in October 2012.
Dan Wickett, Executive Director at Dzanc Books, notes: “Jaramillo’s stories quickly caught our attention. They are excellent without being flashy or showy; they are really strongly written. I began the collection, and many of the stories are short, under five pages, and I moved from one to the next to the next until I realized I had read half of his book without noticing time passing by, the darkening windows, or just how hungry I had become. It’s going to be a great pleasure for Dzanc to see this collection through to publication.”
“I’m honored and thrilled that The Doctor’s Wife found a home at Dzanc Books,” was Jaramillo’s reaction to the news.
ABOUT LUIS JARAMILLO
Luis Jaramillo’s work has been published or is forthcoming in Open City, Gamers (Soft Skull Press), Tin House Magazine, H.O.W. Journal, and Red Line Blues. He is the Associate Chair of the Writing Program at the New School, where he oversees the undergraduate curriculum, the Riggio Honors Program: Writing & Democracy, teaches courses in fiction and nonfiction, and curates a reading series on food writing. He has also led workshops on Yoga and Writing at the New School Summer Writers Colony, NYU Paris, and the Laughing Lotus Yoga Studios in Manhattan and San Francisco.
ABOUT DZANC BOOKS, SHORT STORY COLLECTIONS, AND OUR NEXT CONTEST
Dzanc Books was created in 2006 by Steven Gillis and Dan Wickett to advance great writing and to champion those writers who do not fit neatly into the marketing niches of for-profit presses. As a non-profit, 501(c)3 organization, Dzanc Books not only publishes literary fiction, but works in partnership with literary journals to advance their readership at every level. Dzanc is also fully committed to developing educational programs in schools and organizes workshops and Writer-In-Residence programs in Michigan and elsewhere to meet that goal.
Dzanc Books is very committed to the short story and publishing collections. Three of the KC Star’s top ten story collections in 2008 were published by Dzanc Books or one of our imprints (BLP, OV Books, and Keyhole Books) and between these three houses there have been, or will be, at least 10 collections published in both 2009 and again in 2010.
Dzanc Books is holding a third short story collection contest beginning immediately. Details can be found at http://www.dzancbooks.org/submissions.html.
For further details and more information on Dzanc Books, its mission, titles, authors, awards, and programs, please visit www.dzancbooks.org.
Springy, Spring, Spring: Issue 6 Fundraiser & Art Auction
Thursday, May 6th, 2010
7:00 – 10:00PM at a private loft in Tribeca, NYC
112 Franklin St, 4th Floor, NYC 10013
The night will feature:
- Musical performances by Ali Smith and Jon Howard
- Readings by: Luis Jaramillo and Roxana Robinson
- Complimentary hors d’oeuvres provided by Macao Trading Co., and alcoholic refreshments.
- A bouquet of special raffle prizes
- A silent art auction selected by Gawker Artists curator Liz Dimmit and notorious street artist Billi Kid (PWD) including artwork from Billi Kid, Stefanie Schneider, James and Karla Murray, Jess Levey, Ali Smith, Heather Morgan, Fernanda Cohen, Genevieve Dimmit, Kenneth E. Parris III, Jonathan Fasulo, Greg Silverman, Jonathan Shehee, Joe Heaps Nelson, Sarah Goodreau, SamDakota, Emiliano Granado, Melissa Gorman, Celso, Stikman, Cake, Cern, Elisha Cook Jr., Royce Bannon, Blanco, Joe Iurato, Luna Park, Under Water Pirates, Chris and Veng of Robots Will Kill, NohJColey, Infinity, Christine Dempsey, Avoid, Ian H. Farrell, Peru Ana Ana Peru and many more. A special online preview of the artworks will be available prior to the night of the event.
Event Inquiries contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Yoga Local Studio at the Toren is celebrating its Grand Opening with a WEEK OF FREE CLASSES, from March 1st-March 7th. I’ll be teaching an hour-long class on Thursday the 4th, at 7:30 a.m. I’ll be teaching a regular class at the studio every week at the same time.
The YogaLocal Studio at the Toren is located on the Fourth Floor of the Toren, located at 150 Myrtle Avenue in Fort Greene/Downtown Brooklyn.
Hope to see you there!
Come see me read at Dixon Place on Tuesday, February 16 at 7:30 p.m as part of the Experiments and Disorders Reading Series.